[Gm2] Re: GM2 for Cygwin

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: [Gm2] Re: GM2 for Cygwin
Date: 07 Nov 2006 20:51:13 +0000

"D.J.Allerton" <address@hidden> writes:

> Dear Gaius
>
> I have a large teaching application in Modula-2 I would like to build
> under Windows,
> so that students can run it under Windows (our PC rooms only support
> XP, not Linux).
> It ran previously on DOS under Stony Brook Modula-2. I have been
> looking at the
> current release of Cygwin, which now also supports Xwindows.
>
> It uses gcc 3.4.4 and gdb 6.5.50. When I try to build GM2, it gets
> nearly all the way
> through but then complains about a patch in gcc it can't find and
> stops, just before building gm2.

> Has anyone else built GM2 for Cygwin? I have attached a copy of the log file
> but it's not very helpful.
>
> It would be nice to actually run GNU-Modula-2 in my office. Any help
> much appreciated.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Dave

Hi Dave,

[Hope you don't mind me CC: ing the gm2 mailing list].  One
contributor on the list (at least) has tried building gm2 under
cygwin, a little while back.  GM2 has built on other systems using the
gcc-3.3.6 source tree (rather than the gcc-3.4.4 tree).  What options
did you give the configure in gm2-harness?  The gm2-harness script
firstly builds the C compiler (say gcc-3.3.6) and installs this and
then proceeds to build gm2 - but it only knows how to patch gcc-3.3.6
and gcc-4.1.0 and gcc-4.1.1 (the later two are not as stable as
gcc-3.3.6 - in respect of the gm2 front end).

Any chance you can email me the complete log including the initial
configure?

> shell-bin/makefromcvs: line 70: patch: command not found

Ie: from

   tar xvf gm2-harness-0.96.tar.gz
   cd gm2-harness-0.96
   ./configure etc ..