[Gm2] GNU Modula-2 built as a cross compiler for the AVR microprocessor

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: [Gm2] GNU Modula-2 built as a cross compiler for the AVR microprocessor
Date: 22 Dec 2006 00:14:05 +0000

Hi,

I've had some success building the latest CVS release with gcc-4.1.0
as a cross compiler.  The following url contains gm2-avr cross
compiler for debian etch i386.  It also builds under LP64 but I've not
uploaded the .deb for that yet.  Inside the package is: gdb-6.6
gcc-4.1.0, gm2-0.53 + cvs fixes, binutils and avr-libc-1.4.4.
Including all these packages into one package is not normally the
way it should be done so I've built them to exist under
/usr/local/gm2/avr so they should not
interfere with the main distribution and they can easily be removed.

http://floppsie.comp.glam.ac.uk/download/deb/dists/unstable/contrib/binary-i386

The binary package is 14 MB and the source package is 87 MB.

I've also added an option to GM2, -Wlibs=min which links against a
minimal set of runtime libraries (a stripped down SYSTEM, M2RTS and
libc).   Once the package has been installed via

     dpkg -i gm2-avr_0.53_i386.deb

your path needs to include

    /usr/local/gm2/avr/bin

preferably at the beginning.  I've not extensively tested the cross
compiler - but I have successfully built atmega8 executables and
simulated them under simulavr (and single stepped them via gdb) and
also written a simple LED flashing program in Modula-2 and downloaded
it to a real target.

Finally the -O flag is not working - next on the to do list..