Re: [Gm2] adding compiler to distributions

From: Andreas Fischlin
Subject: Re: [Gm2] adding compiler to distributions
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2008 17:36:20 +0200

Dear all,

This reminds me of the distribution issues, I have been discussing with Gaius previously (last year). IMHO gm2 would profit greatly, if it would be released separately from gcc. Moreover, once you have a binary, it should be possible to move that binary among machines of the same platform, which is AFAIK unfortunately not the case with current gm2 release scheme. How do others think about this?

Please consider the following points: Most Unix systems of one or another form - BTW I'm coming from OS X (Darwin variant) - have typically already some gcc compiler installed. In the case of OS X the gcc preinstalled by default is often not the one gm2 uses. Why not following a release scheme where you get gm2 alone and that release is made for a particular gcc or a range of gcc. In case someone wishes to follow the same scheme gm2 uses now, this could still be done by any user by simply downloading an additional gcc component. And all those that already have a gcc installed, can simply add gm2 to the set of compilers without having to struggle with the coexistence of several gcc on the same machine.

Anyone with me on this?

Regards,
Andreas

Norik Chili wrote:
Most people (AFAIK) install software from distributions repositories.
For example, Debian users may even not know about this modula-2 compiler, as it is not in official apt repo. The same with Fedore/RedHat users.

What I personally miss is GNU Modula-2 ebuild for Gentoo systems.
If someone have time to add gm2 to Gentoo, it would be good!

Dr. Andreas Fischlin, Ph.D., Group Director

Terrestrial Systems Ecology
Institute of Integrative Biology: Ecology, Evolution, Infectious Disease
Department of Environmental Sciences, ETH Zurich

Address:
ETH Zurich, CHN E21.1
8092 Zurich, Switzerland

Phone: +41 44 633-6090 / Fax: +41 44 633-1136
http://www.sysecol.ethz.ch/Staff/af/
http://www.sysecol.ethz.ch/

    _/       _/   _/  _/   Eidgenoessische Technische Hochschule Zuerich
   _/_/_/   _/   _/_/_/   Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich
  _/       _/   _/  _/   Ecole polytechnique federale de Zurich
 _/_/_/   _/   _/  _/   Politecnico federale de Zurigo

             Make it as simple as possible, but distrust it!