Re: [Gm2] Returning a string constant

From: Andreas Fischlin
Subject: Re: [Gm2] Returning a string constant
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 08:32:47 +0100

Reason is that at compile time of the procedure with the open array parameter -- assuming you compile before running a program -- you do not know which actual parameter is going to be passed at call time of this procedure. Since a string constant is handled as all constants in Modula-2 as an _expression_ to be evaluated by the compiler, this assignment statement ought to be replaced by the compiler as a true assignment code. But which? If string variable s is of type ARRAY [0..0] OF CHAR, then the compiler should assign only the "t" of "test", but if at next call (within the same program) it would be of type ARRAY [0..255] OF CHAR, then the compiler should generate a code where it assigns all of "test" plus the 0C at the end. From this consideration you can see that the compiler doesn't know what code to generate. In the spirit of the principle of simplicity, i.e. to keep compilers as small as possible, the rule is here to ask the programmer to provide the correct algorithm, assuming this is no big deal as is indeed the case here. Of course, in case of a string you could ask the compiler to know that algorithm and provide it for you. But that would mean an exception and the language would become complicated, since you can not ask the compiler to have for any complex open array parameter, e.g. ARRAY OF MyRecordType, such an algorithm ready. Therefore I believe the rule is for very good reasons there and we should stick to it.

Andreas

Breeden, Thomas (tmb) wrote:
Gaius, et. al.,

Neat. I had thought you had implemented structured type returns.

I plan to avoid them like the plague :)
Though, if they discourage anyone from writing string functions that
return POINTER TO CHAR or something like that resembling that
"C" practice, they have done a good thing.

BTW, one thing that has puzzled me about the ISO Standard is that it
states "No direct assignments to open array formal parameters may be
made" - no ifs, ands, or buts.

So the, when s is an open array parameter, the
  s := "test";
alternative to
  Assign("test",s);
should be illegal in an ISO conforming compile mode
but I am not sure why.

So far as I can see, either way, if HIGH() is accurate it should be safe,
and if not, unsafe.

Tom
address@hidden