Re: [Gm2] REAL precision

From: Andreas Fischlin
Subject: Re: [Gm2] REAL precision
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 16:58:02 +0200

Dear Scott,

I fully agree that REAL = "IEEE single precision real" and LONGREAL = "IEEE double precision real" is the approach most M2 implementations follow. Thus I would therefore even argue that this should actually be the default and REAL = double precision should be the option you have to request. But, agreed, this argument depends on what one wants to accomplish with gm2: Legacy code or modern, state-of-the-art implementation of a Modula-2. The former calls for default is REAL single/LONGREAL double, the latter would rather opt for leaving the defaults as they are now (if I all understood correctly).

Regards,
Andreas

SiTex Graphics wrote:
Hi Gaius,

By default GM2 translates the REAL type as a double precision number.
Is there a way I can build the compiler with REAL=float, and
LONGREAL=double?  Or perhaps persuade you to make REAL=float the
default bahavior? That's been the convention for every other M2
compiler I've used...

Anyone else have a preference for REAL=float or REAL=double?

Also for Gaius: I sent a message on June 17 reporting a new problem
and inquiring about the status of an earlier bug report.  Did you
receive that message?

Thanks,
Scott

ETH Zurich
Prof. Dr. Andreas Fischlin
Systems Ecology - Institute of Integrative Biology
CHN E 21.1
Universitaetstrasse 16
8092 Zurich
SWITZERLAND

address@hidden
www.sysecol.ethz.ch

+41 44 633-6090 phone
+41 44 633-1136 fax

             Make it as simple as possible, but distrust it!