[Gm2] SHIFT questions

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: [Gm2] SHIFT questions
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 22:55:19 +0000

Hi,

during the course of fixing some regression tests I came across
the problem of what to do if the user attempts to SHIFT by more
than set size bits.

Ie:

   SHIFT(bitset, MAX(BITSET)+1)   is a no-op   MAX(BITSET)=31
                                  and shifting by 32 on a 32 bit
                                  machine yields the same result.

I cannot find how SHIFT should behave in the M2 ISO standard given
these parameters.  Currently if SHIFTing x where x is >MAX(settype)+1
will be the same as SHIFTing x MOD (MAX(settype)+1), for any settype.
Hope this is correct..