Re: [Gm2] gm2 uses /var/tmp?

From: Fischlin Andreas
Subject: Re: [Gm2] gm2 uses /var/tmp?
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2013 10:05:42 +0000

Dear John,

Emptying this folder is AFAIK the duty of the OS, not that of the creator of
the files stored there, unless permissions assigned at creation time would defy
that. AFAIK this is the main purpose of storing files at /var/tmp.

I just checked on our Suns (Sparc, Solaris 9) /var/tmp. It contains indeed
rather surprising old files. But in our case they don't use up much disk space.
I don't know what philosophy Solaris follows and whether a by user logout or a
machine restart is needed to really clear out those files or whether there
should not be a chron job that is supposed do regularly clean that dir out.
Perhaps someone has better Solaris knowledge and could say what should really
be going on.

Nevertheless hope having provided some input.

Regards,
Andreas

P.S.: We do not (yet) run gm2 on our Suns.

ETH Zurich
Prof. Dr. Andreas Fischlin
Systems Ecology - Institute of Integrative Biology
CHN E 21.1
Universitaetstrasse 16
8092 Zurich
SWITZERLAND

address@hidden<mailto:address@hidden>
www.sysecol.ethz.ch<http://www.sysecol.ethz.ch>

+41 44 633-6090 phone
+41 44 633-1136 fax
+41 79 595-4050 mobile

             Make it as simple as possible, but distrust it!