Re: [Gm2] Solaris 10 x86 update

From: John Long
Subject: Re: [Gm2] Solaris 10 x86 update
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2015 17:02:58 +0000

Gaius,

The supplied gnu shared libraries are not in the standard PATH and not in the
loader PATH on Solaris because they are not part of the OS and not required
for most of Solaris and its apps. PATH hell is alive and well on Solaris 10.

I often have to specify specific include and sometimes runpaths for
these. The gnu stuff is usually found in /usr/swf/lib and
/usr/sfw/include. If you do something like

export PATH=/usr/sfw/bin:$PATH
export CFLAGS="-I/usr/sfw/include"
export LDFLAGS="-L/usr/sfw/lib"

it often helps standard builds that need gnu bits and pieces. For Tcl I
think I even had to runpath to /usr/local/lib for some reason.

Whatever you do, don't rely on LD_LIBRARY_PATH. I am told by people "in the
know" this is a cardinal sin on Solaris. Runpath on the build always seems
to take care of it.

I have no idea if this is the problem but I hope it helps.

/jl