Re: [Gm2] gcc cauldron 2016

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: Re: [Gm2] gcc cauldron 2016
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2016 11:47:00 +0100

Gaius Mulley <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> [I realise I should have sent this email out some time ago - apologies].
>
> Just wondered if anyone else is going to the gcc cauldron this weekend?
>
> https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/cauldron2016
>
> also I was wondering if any/some of you wanted to drop me an email
> saying what you use Modula-2 for?

ok thought I'd mention how I use gm2.

> Teaching ?

some of the teaching example programs are written in Modula-2 (pegfive,
chess, halma, penguin tower and others).  PGE (predictive game engine
in the gm2/examples is used - although delivered as a Python module
using the swig wrapper to wrap up Modula-2 code).

A Luk (Lean microkernel) is built by gm2, it also has C counterparts
which the students modify but underthehood is much Modula-2 :-)

> Research ?

yes

> Industrial ?
> Embedded Systems ?

I use the Atmega328p chip quite a bit in home projects and gm2 features
here.

> Graphics ?
> Home projects ?
> Legacy systems ?
>
> Also your platform (OS/hardware) of choice

Debian/stable probably on x86_64.  Although I am very keen to get gm2
working on an Odroid4 core arm (also running debian).

> and whether you use PIM or ISO dialect/libraries

pge uses ISO, I really like the ISO IO libraries, especially the
layering implied in the specification.  Although I'll mix libraries - so
FIO, Selective, DynamicStrings will be typically be used on more complex
projects.

> whether you mix languages in your projects (which languages?)

Python and Modula-2, Python for the gui and Modula-2 for the AI or hard
lifting.  This worked well in halma, penguin tower and pge.  Typically I
use Modula-2 with C/C++ and possibly swig/Python.  The runtime range
checking is pretty useful especially when generating a Python module.