gmediaserver-devel

Re: [gmediaserver-devel] cant listen to a whole song

From: Jan Ceuleers
Subject: Re: [gmediaserver-devel] cant listen to a whole song
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 18:38:17 +0200

Niv,

Niv wrote:
Hay,
I seek help with gmediaserver 0.11.0
I am running it on gentoo with gcc 4.1.1 and kernel 2.6.17-ck1
I got 2Gb now
to get the attached file I ran gmediaserver -vvvv /home/music/omnifi/
--profile=dms1 -i eth0 --output=gmedia.log
then found a track and played it.
in the middle of it , it stopped playing.

Thanks,
Niv

(Your log was gzipped twice). Not that this helps me much because I don't know enough about UPnP to be able to detect any anomalies in your log.

However, I have also seen issues related to mp3 playback being cut short. In my case it had nothing to do with gmediaserver, but please bear with me.

A lot of mp3s that play fine on my Philips SLM5500 (when served these mp3s by gmediaserver) are cut short by my iPod 30GB. I have found that this is because the iPod (or perhaps iTunes) does not correctly determine the duration of these files, as they were encoded using VBR. Whenever the duration that it thinks is correct for the file is reached it stops playing, regardless of whether the end of the file is reached.

Might something similar be happening in your case as well? For starters: are the MP3s that you are facing the problem with VBR-encoded? Can you re-rip them using CBR?

Regards, Jan