gmediaserver-devel

Re: [gmediaserver-devel] A Few General Questions

From: Wayne Stallwood
Subject: Re: [gmediaserver-devel] A Few General Questions
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 01:25:54 -0000

On Thu, 2007-07-19 at 19:49 -0400, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> I thought I might be able to not
> only find other clients out there, but possibly find an open
> source/open hardware client or kit that would combine an embedded
> system and some FOSS firmware, but it doesn't seem like there's
> anything like that.

It sounds like the squeezebox is the thing for you, the firmware is open
source (I think they use a PIC device for the interface coupled to a
hardware decoder) and there is a reasonably active community around it
developing extensions and plugins etc.

It's not uPnP and won't work with GMediaServer, but the client is
opensource and multiplatform and from what I hear works quite well (you
can try this side before you buy as there is a software emulation of the
player to test against the server)

I tried to save money and went for a combination of OmniFi DMS1 and
Netgear MP101. Sadly both (particularly the MP101) have been unstable no
matter what serverside software I use. My investment has been made now
but if I had to start again I would go the slimdevices squeezebox route.

One (mp101) has been converted into a portable player for the garden
http://digimatic.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=27&Itemid=29
and the other now sits unloved in a cupboard having been replaced by
xbmc (which would be perfect without the fan noise)