gmediaserver-devel

Re: [gmediaserver-devel] (no subject)XBox 360?

From: Wayne Stallwood
Subject: Re: [gmediaserver-devel] (no subject)XBox 360?
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 09:44:23 +0000

I'd suggest you try it from your Linux box first and see how far you
get. I did try and set this up for a friend when the 360 was first
released and ran into a few problems but I vaguely recall that was with
a previous version of gmediaserver.

>From memory the problems I had were that the Xbox seemed to want to be
pretty specific about the mediaserver name and the Container name and
even then it didn't seem to want to play.

I think at that point I decided that MS had done their standard
embrace/extend job on the UPnP spec and gave up. Since then I have heard
that the Windows Media Connect actually transcodes to WMA/WMV before
streaming to the xbox. Although the Twonkyvision guys seem to have
figured it out and I don't think their product does the transcoding so
perhaps that isn't actually a requirement.

But as I say this was on a previous build of gmediaserver so it may have
been fixed by now. Try it and let us know how you get on.

Also I recall some chat about this around the start of 2006 on this list
so you might want to scan around the list archives in case anyone got
further than me and/or submitted a patch.

Kind Regards
Wayne