Re: [Gnash-dev] Loading external movies

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Loading external movies
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 10:44:54 -0600

Tomas Groth wrote:

> IIRC there is in the mozilla/netscape-plugin API support for downloading
> files,
> which we IMHO should use in the plugin, instead of libcurl. This is of course
> not an option in the standalone player.

  As the plugin uses the standalone player, this isn't an option. So I
think libcurl will be ok. Plus when running on an embedded device, we
won't have Mozilla around anyway...

> ATM i think we parse the entire SWF, and then play it. But moving the parsing
> to a separate thread, would probably be a good thing.

  Currently Gnash parses the entire movie before playing it. This causes
a noticeable delay at startup, especially when running as a plugin. To
better support the plugin, plus there are other uses of this, Gnash
needs to be able to start playing a stream while still reading it. One
thought would be to have one thread to read data and cache it for the
parser. Or we can read every little piece and parse it right away in a
single thread to avoid synchronization issues.