Re: [Gnash-dev] Gnash Website

From: Stephan Sokolow
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Gnash Website
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 19:02:42 -0400

On Saturday September 30, 2006 18:57, Aaron Slunt wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My name is Aaron and I am interested in hosting a main website for
> gnash. Note that I am interested and will not comment on making a
> commitment yet, but this is something I would like to do.
>
> I see gnash is hosted on gnu.org. I'm interested in purchasing the
> domain "gnash-project.org" for the website, as well as a host that
> allows 6gb of data transfer/day. I plan on powering the site with the
> basic php5/mysql combination, and would like to build this myself, and
> community feedback would be great.

I don't know about the hosting, but domains are dirt-cheap. Also, it might be
best to wait until the next Gnash release either way.

> If this is something that the community would like to see, please let me
> know. I would prefer to hear a word from the main guy himself about
> this. All I ask in return is that I may place google ads on the site
> (no, I don't like to stick them in people's faces if that's what you're
> thinking :P) and that I keep the code for the site itself closed-sourced.

I'm not "the main guy", heck I haven't contributed anything, but I think that
everyone else will probably agree that doing that with the Gnash site would
be hypocritical at best.

> Getting gnash its own website will help increase awareness and
> popularity. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm sick of the
> Macromedia/Adobe scandal that has linux flash users ages behind windows
> flash users.

I am too, but hosting an open-source flash player on a closed-source
ad-supported site would probably give a poor impression at best.