Re: [Gnash-dev] ./configure error

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] ./configure error
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 17:17:57 +0200

On Mon, Oct 09, 2006 at 09:03:35AM -0600, Rob Savoye wrote:
> strk wrote:
> > I think I fixed this, it was {ac_cv_path_ogg_lib} being set
> > to output of pkg-config --libs (so including -L and -l switches and spaces).
> > I moved pkg-config call *after* the manual check.
>
> >>         if test -f ${ac_cv_path_ogg_lib}/libogg.a -o -f
> >> ${ac_cv_path_ogg_lib}/libogg.so; then
>
>   You shouldn't need to move the pkg-config check after the manual
> check, that defeats the purpose. There should be a test to see if
> ${ac_cv_path_ogg_lib} is set after a pkg-config attempt, and this test
> code should only be executed if pkg-config fails or doesn't exist.

I knew the patch was bogus. The problem with these macros is that
the ${ac_cv_path_WHAT_lib} and ${ac_cv_path_WHAT_incl} change meaning
in different places in the code.

Sometime they include the -I or -L or -l switches, sometimes not.
Some code assumes they are simply paths (when matching against "/usr/lib")
and some code assumes they include the switches.

A general cleanup (using a separate variable maybe?) would greatly help.