Re: [Gnash-dev] KDE-3.5.6 crash due to firefox and gnash

From: James Lockie
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] KDE-3.5.6 crash due to firefox and gnash
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 00:24:34 -0500

Patrice Dumas wrote:
On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 12:27:28AM +0000, Martin Guy wrote:
Isn't it weird that a plugin could crash firefox and KDE/X?
I am 99% sure this is a bug in the OpenGL driver for your card. I would
suggest using the AGG renderer backend instead.
I'd love to blame the closed-source drivers, and they probably do
cause some of the crashes as well as being it out of our control to
fix them. But just being able to point the blame elsewhere doesn't
change the reality that using Gnash makes firefox and the X server
die, whereas the Adobe one doesn't.

Still it isn't gnash fault. Gnash shouldn't have the possibility to crash X whatever garbage it sends to it. It is possible that it is a bug un gnash that reveals the X/Mesa/kernle/whatever bug, but still
the X crash isn't strictly a gnash bug.

--
Pat
I agree it is gnash revealing a bug elsewhere but how can it be debugged?

I am pretty sure I had it installed wrong so it was using mesa for OpenGL and the nvidia driver.

Now I am using the agg renderer and nothing has crashed so far.