Re: [Gnash-dev] Obvious question

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Obvious question
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 16:31:12 -0700

j d wrote:

>  Does Gnash have a version that will run on an (Intel) Mac running OS X
> 10.4? Or is this only for Linux?

  Gnash has been run standalone on Darwin based systems using packages from
fink, or open Darwin so it'll build and run. The plugin only works in
GTK builds of Firefox, we need to write some Mac GUI code for the plugin
to work more natively.

> I have read that the Adobe Flash Player puts an ID on your system that
> lets web sites track you even if you have cookies disabled. (This is one
> of the reasons that I uninstalled it.)
> Was this "feature" included in Gnash?

  You've got to be kidding... :-) Gnash has an additional security layer
that lets you control any network activity when playing Flash movies.
Quite a few Flash movies do try to access a URL to load additional
content, or to record hits on a web server that a particular file was
played. In Gnash, you can blacklist all those sites so they never bother
you, sort of like AdBlock, but it works in the standalone player.

        - rob-