[Gnash-dev] How to support ffmpeg?

From: Tomas Groth
Subject: [Gnash-dev] How to support ffmpeg?
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 13:29:53 +0100 (CET)

Hi all,

As some of you has no doubt experienced, or read on this list, ffmpeg is the
root of many problems. To be more precise, the ever changing API is rather
annoying, because it makes it very hard to support older and newer versions at
the same time, and still remain sane. So to solve this issue some proposals has
been put forward that we would like to share with you.

1) Include ffmpeg in gnash.
pros: No more need to support old and outdated versions of ffmpeg. (Wohoo!)
cons: There might be some IP/patent-issues... We'll need to keep our own
ffmpeg-tree up to date.

2) Help the ffmpeg-team to do some periodic releases.
pros: The whole world will start celebrating, because finally ffmpeg has
releases! Gnash can require real release versions, instead of svn numbers.
cons: In the short term it's still the same mess. Helping out with
ffmpeg-releases is going to require a lot of time! (any volunteer?)

3) Keep on as always.
pros: None.
cons: same mess as now.

In a perfect world I'd vote for option 2, but for now I'm voting for option 1,
but what about you?

cheers,

Tomas

Alt i én. Få Yahoo! Mail med adressekartotek, kalender og
notesblok. http://dk.mail.yahoo.com