[Gnash-dev] Gnash: streaming from VLC server

From: Klaas-Pieter Vlieg
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Gnash: streaming from VLC server
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 14:47:38 +0100

Hi,

I recently discovered Gnash and have decided to port Gnash to Sony PSP and to a
settop box (Sigma Designs chipset).

The main thing I'd like to accomplish is to be able to stream from a VLC
server. The reason for that is that I then can select video codec (mpeg4 or
h264), audio codec (mp3), container format (ts or ogg) and protocol (http, or
rtsp). It's great to see that Gnash uses Ffmpeg because I'm quite experienced
using it for other projects.

My question to you is whether the idea to stream from VLC server is feasible.
Could I use something like this in my Flash app for playing a stream from VLC
server? :

var videoInstance:Video = your_video_instance;
var nc:NetConnection = new NetConnection();
var connected:Boolean = nc.connect("http:/host:port/stream");
var ns:NetStream = new NetStream(nc);
videoInstance.attachVideo(ns);
ns.play("FileName");

Or alternatively, can I use libcurl to control VLC and open & decode the stream
using Ffmpeg by defining my own videostream class?

Since I work together with a Flash coder and don't have much experience in
Flash coding myself I'd prefer the first solution. That way the Flash coder can
code generic and doesn't have to worry whether it's a MM Flash server or Cygnal
or a VLC server at the other end.

I'm looking forward to your replies and hope to contribute to the project.

Cheers
Klaas-Pieter Vlieg