Re: [Gnash-dev] Building in security

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Building in security
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 12:05:01 +0200

On Wed, May 02, 2007 at 10:48:12AM +0100, Martin Guy wrote:

> We can just follow adobe's algorithm for a first hack - at least that
> will solve the problems that the community has alerted them to.

This is ok to me as far as we allow the user to remove such a "limitation"
from the client.
Adobe's algorithm is based on a security-trough-proprietery-software model,
which is it works as far as nobody can change the client code...

In many cases the crossdomain policy is just a stupid limitation.
An example: many sites publish geographical informations in XML format
and you DO can access those informations with a normal browser.
When it comes to a flash player, you can NOT load those resources anymore
unless the publishers properly provide a crossdomain.xml file in their
web server.

I think this is just  a fascist behaviour of the MM/Adobe player which we
do NOT want to replicate, except if we want to provide it as a facility to
verify a movie will play with the proprietary player too..