Re[2]: [Gnash-dev] opengl->agg?

From: Udo Giacomozzi
Subject: Re[2]: [Gnash-dev] opengl->agg?
Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 17:23:11 +0200

Hello Rob,

Tuesday, May 8, 2007, 3:41:53 PM, you wrote:
RS>   If anyone can prove that AGG is faster than accelerated OpenGL, then
RS> AGG can be the default.

Whow, that would be a miracle :)

>> Have you ever seen the DrawingApiTest.swf with OpenGL (to talk about quality
>> and implemented features...)

RS>   We need to fix OpenGL, and stop ignoring it like a crippled thing just
RS> cause we all refuse to install proprietary drivers. We have to think
RS> beyond ourselves here.

Even if I wrote the AGG backend I do not really care which backend
should be enabled by default. I'd like to see improvement in OpenGL as
well, as it might be useful for embedded devices too (many SBCs have
accelerated graphics nowadays).

However, I suggest that the choice of backend should not be made on
performance but on rendering fidelity. And in this regard AGG complies
95% to the proprietary player while OpenGL has quite a few features
missing. I think that's more important to people.

So, it is definitely important to close the missing holes in OpenGL
and I'd love to see someone doing it. But currently the OpenGL backend
is not complete.

Again, I let release decisions to others...

Udo