Re: [Gnash-dev] non-conformance to HTTP standards

From: Eric Hughes
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] non-conformance to HTTP standards
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 08:32:34 -0600

At 07:12 AM 5/17/2007, strk wrote:
Which normative document says that a query string makes it *not* an abs_path ?
I'd think both the following are abs_path:

        /file
        /file?v=1

Yeah, I thought both of them would product abs_path when I started. Then I dug into the grammar definition.

The magic line is in RFC 2616, Section 5.1.2
        Request-URI    = "*" | absoluteURI | abs_path | authority

The definition of abs_path and authority are in RFC 2396.
        abs_path      = "/"  path_segments
        authority     = server | reg_name

Neither of these admits "?". So for your example "/file" is indeed abs_path, but "/file?v=1" is not, because abs_path cannot contain "?". Hey, it's not my rule.

As far as I'm concerned, this is a defect in the specification.

And now, a rant. You'd think that after twenty years of writing standards documents with BNF and ABNF and the like that there would be software that would (1) check a grammar for consistency, (2) check a grammar for completeness and (3) compile into a recognizer that could be used to verify test vectors. And much less standard conformance suites. A standard that's not operational in these ways is far weaker than one that's just on paper. Formal grammars are hard enough to understand without assistance.

Eric