Re: [Gnash-dev] NetStream and ::advance

From: Martin Guy
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] NetStream and ::advance
Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 03:31:06 +0100

2007/5/17, Tomas Groth <address@hidden>:
> It seems our handlign of NetStream, completely driven by SWF frame
> advancement,
> is bogus.

> See http://www.gnashdev.org/wiki/index.php/MovieAdvancement for related
> issues.

Since this seems to only be a problem with low framerate SWFs, I don't think
it's worth to fix before the release - unless the proposed fix on the wiki is
very quick and easy...

This probably needs thinking about. Other swfs have a fixed soundtrack
and cartoon events that should coincide with sound effecte, but timing
is sloppy at present, at least with some GUIs, and video rendering
gets ahead of sound by a second of two over a few minutes. An example
is freaknet.org/martin/Bozzetto -> Yes & No (watch for timing of car
crashes for example)

That suggests synchronising frame advances off the audio - but wot if
there is no audio running?

The other thing in this area is dropping the rendering of frames to
maintain movie speed: something like "if I'm called to render again
but the last frame is not complete yet, carry on rendering the last
frame and skip rendering of this one".

I looked at the synchro thing a little when SDL was running Bozzetto
at over double video speed: each GUI delays against SDL_tick or (in
GTK( gettimeofday(), which is simple but lame (think of control-Z and
then fg after a few seconds)

Mmm. Some thought required in this area