Re[2]: [Gnash-dev] Performance drop

From: Udo Giacomozzi
Subject: Re[2]: [Gnash-dev] Performance drop
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 10:59:15 +0200

Hello strk,

Tuesday, May 29, 2007, 7:24:22 PM, you wrote:
s> Can you restrict matrix transformation to a single mechanism ?
s> I mean, rather then changing _x,_y,_width,_height as you showed me
s> you're doing, just change a single one of them ?
s> Just to be sure it's not ActionScript-related.

I do that already.
_x and _y are set only once after adding the instance to the stage.
_width / _height are only set in the second pass to minize the
rendering area, but I was not referring to that pass.

The *only* property that's being changed repeatedly is _rotation (test
2) or _xscale (test 10), respectively:

 description="rotating circle, onEnterFrame";
 this.onEnterFrame = function() { _rotation += 10; }

This is the whole code of the movieclip.

The rest is just ActionScript code in the root movie used to time the
tests. As you can see at http://rafb.net/p/5xGyiG41.html the same
profiling code returns 100 frames/sec for a static character that does
not change itself. This means the _root script code does not matter.

The _root code basically uses attachMovie() to place one single test
after another on stage and use getTimer()/onEnterFrame to do the
profiling. The tests itself are sprites.

Udo