Re[2]: [Gnash-dev] opengl and framebbufer

From: Udo Giacomozzi
Subject: Re[2]: [Gnash-dev] opengl and framebbufer
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 19:49:25 +0100

Hello Daniel,

DAM>  Ok, the OpenGL libraries we have talk directly to the
DAM> framebuffer, or at least thats what we think because no GUI is
DAM> running and we have some demos playing.

I never used OpenGL. Can it render to a off-screen buffer (ie. System
RAM not Video RAM)? My gut feeling is "no". The FB GUI is designed to
use a double buffer where the buffer is a normal memory that is
memcpy() on frame advance. I don't want to discourage you, but
probably most of the FB code is not suitable for OpenGL (everything
except resolution detection and event handling).

I suggest you first try to understand exactly use OpenGL with just a
framebuffer device, ie. write a little test program that displays some
sort *accelerated* graphic (a simple line would do) without a X server
or DirectFB around.

The probably best way to go would be using DirectFB. I am sure it
provides abstract access to most video cards and it comes with a nice
event handling system. The FB GUI is of necessity very low level
regarding events.

DAM>  Is there any file containing this glue code? it would be nice just to
DAM> have a look at it and decide if we can do something in this case,
DAM> although I assume that it will be in different parts of the source.

Have a look at the files under "gui/" with "glue" in their name...

Udo