Re: [Gnash-dev] Re: [Gnash] 0.8.2 status & OLPC

From: Bastiaan Jacques
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Re: [Gnash] 0.8.2 status & OLPC
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 06:11:20 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008, John Gilmore wrote:
The
standard Gnash maintainer response has always been, "Rip the binary
flash file apart, diagnose it, and fix it yourself", which of course
has resulted in zero progress, which is of course why every tech but
me recommends that end users tear out gnash.)

I don't think that's entirely accurate. If you encounter a bug in Gnash,
there are a number of things you can do, depending on your skills and
time available. At the very least, you can file a bug in Savannah. Then,
if you know how (or are willing to learn), you can create a reduced test
case, that also reduces the time it takes to fix. Then, if you are a C++
coder, you can also go and try to fix the bug yourself.

It is obvious that we'll always try to get users involved in the bug
fixing problems, because there are simply not enough people in the team
and not enough hours in a day to do all we'd like to do ourselves.
Besides that, we are faced with targets which are continuously moving.

Bastiaan