Re: [Gnash-dev] Re: [Gnash] 0.8.2 status & OLPC

From: Dave Crossland
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Re: [Gnash] 0.8.2 status & OLPC
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 14:04:30 +0000

On 11/01/2008, John Gilmore <address@hidden> wrote:
> > then screw it, ship Adobe, and don't bother those of use trying
> > to fix the problem. I tried to talk them into adding Codec Buddy from
> > Fedora to solve this problem with zero success.
>
>   When there's a codec issue, put up a message, in the web page display,
>   that says it's a codec issue.  Don't just end up with a grey
>   rectangle.  If you want to be fancy, say which codec is being used
>   that we don't support, and why we don't support it.

Yes - more user-visible non-hacker-readable errors and indications
would be excellent.

"This video doesn't play because of codec patent problem X and
unimplemented Flash Y but LuLu/YouTube/etc work so you could try to
view it there" perhaps?

> And maybe after OLPC saw this, they would let you add a "Click here if
> you're European

or in an OLPC deployment country, which are mostly software idea
patent free I assume :-)

> PS: OLPC can't ship Adobe flash; they don't have a license to do so.
> The one you download from the Adobe website doesn't come with
> permission to share it.  Maybe they could get one by negotiation; but
> they prefer to stand in solidarity with the free software community.

I'm glad they do :-)

> My daughter does not want to use her XO since she is unable to get into
> Webkins and Learning Today.

This is sad to hear, but motivating. BBC's kids sites also make heavy
use of Flash, hmmmmmmmm.

--
Regards,
Dave