Re: [Gnash-dev] animation GUI

From: John Gilmore
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] animation GUI
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 16:12:13 -0700

> Aaron Whitehouse writes:
>  > What Free software needs is an IDE that brings together existing open
>  > standards to fill the same niche as Flash (SVG + video element tags
>  > etc).

> To get them to support freedom, they're going to need a shiny bauble.
> That is exactly what John suggests.  Then, once they have a *free*
> shiny bauble, you can start to explain to them that it's only that
> shiny, it's only that baubalicious, because it's free.

I'd be happy with a Free animation editor that produces
Gnash-compatible Flash, for now.  Aaron seems to be suggesting that we
define a new format other than Flash (since Flash isn't free).  I
don't think we need to design a new animation format just yet.

(Codecs are indeed an issue -- but let's work out the other 95% of the
job of making such an editor, and let that one percolate for a while.
With a prototype editor in hand, we could go to Adobe and offer, "If
you put free codec support into Adobe Flash, and publish the spec for
Flash, then we'd agree to make Flash the default format that our tools
save animations in.  If you won't, then we'll go with something else
-- perhaps Silverlight, perhaps our own -- and start pulling the free
world away from using Flash.  The same way the free world pulled away
from GIF to PNG.  Which do you prefer, Adobe?")

        John