[Gnash-dev] Mark Dowd's Flash NULL Pointer Vulnerability Exploit

From: John Gilmore
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Mark Dowd's Flash NULL Pointer Vulnerability Exploit
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 18:56:53 -0700

We should make sure we aren't vulnerable to any of the sub-parts of
this attack.  And note what the top of the article says about our
importance to the whole Internet ecosystem:

  Some context. Reliable Flash vulnerabilities are catastrophes. In
  2008, we have lots of different browsers. We have different versions
  of the OS, and we have Mac users. But we've only got ONE FLASH VENDOR,
  and everyone has Flash installed. Why do you care about Flash
  exploits? Because in the field, any one of them wins a commanding
  majority of browser installs for an attacker. It is the Cyberdyne
  Systems Model 101 of clientsides.

We're well on the way to curing that worldwide single point of failure.

        John