[Gnash-dev] Re: 0.8.3 not building on Fedora 6

From: zou lunkai
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Re: 0.8.3 not building on Fedora 6
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 11:52:48 +0800

>> We would still like Gnash to work on Fedora6 if possible.  The failure
>> was due to compiler bugs(GCC 4.3).  But GCC4.3 is not too old at all.
>> And I am sure some older compilers are still in use in many platforms.
>> The building bug on Fedora6 should be eliminated by more carefull
>> coding in a long-term plan.

>I don't understand your point. If it is a compiler bug, then there
>is nothing to change in gnash? And gcc 4.3 indeed isn't old, but it is
>very recent.

yes, nothing need to change in theory.

But in practice no compilers could be full compatible with the C/C++
standards.  I mean we should try to workaround the bugs and make Gnash
build with common compilers. I believe we can make it without any
significant changes in the source code. Probably a few lines of coding
style changes would be enough acoording to my experience. Note that
Gnash did compile on Fedora6 for many times(but also failed many times
due to the mystery ".gnu.linkonce..." bug).

--zou