Re: [Gnash-dev] Building Gnash on Windows

From: Benjamin Wolsey
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Building Gnash on Windows
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 14:51:05 +0200

> <cross posting to devel list as well , sorry if its against etiquette here>

Well, once would certainly have been enough...

> The $gnash_root/INSTALL file says :
> >The win32 player can be built with VC++, or
> >Mingw32.
>
> Has anyone built Gnash on win32 ? I would really like to build it
> using VC++, has anyone experience doing this? how-tos, help-docs,
> patches, docs etc.

I should think that message was written some time ago. As far as I know,
no devs build Gnash regularly with VC++ any more, although Zou (I think)
uses it occasionally for debugging purposes; perhaps he can help more.

There have been some changes recently to get Gnash to build better with
compilers other than GCC, and I'd be pleased if you can get it building
with VC++ and report any problems you find - they are sometimes signs of
Gnash relying on non-standard or otherwise slightly dodgy things.

Unfortunately, I haven't got the faintest idea of how to use VC. There
are some old 'project files', in the source code, which have now been
deleted, but which you can see at
http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/gnash/win32/old%20win32/VC8/?root=gnash&hideattic=0

They can't be used directly, as the codebase has changed far too much,
but perhaps they can help somehow.

bwy