Re: [Gnash-dev] Re: i586 libffmpeg-api installs in /usr/lib64

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Re: i586 libffmpeg-api installs in /usr/lib64
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 09:22:25 -0600

Russ Nelson wrote:
Juergen, meet the gnash-dev mailing list.  Gnash-dev, meet Juergen.
He's the author of libffmpeg-api, a package for OpenSUSE.  Rob Savoye
(project leader) has been talking about giving up on gstreamer
entirely and going with an ffmpeg plugin system.  Sounds like we
should talk about that, since it looks like you're wanting the same
thing.

While we may not get rid of Gstreamer entirely, for Gnash, it's overkill. All we really need is a simple decoder. I had considered mimicing the ffmpeg-gstreamer API for plugins so end users could just grab that package of codecs from where ever they normally do.

> libffmpeg-api is the idea to provide all the linkables for development of > dependant projects without containing the actual codecs.
 > It is a dummy implementation, that, when actually called just shells out
 > to an installer, e.g. your web browser going to a one-click install page ...

  Sounds like a good idea.

 > I'd like to have this in the build service, as novell is not willing
 > to host the ffmpeg codec, for legal reasons.
 > But build service can host projects that depend on the codecs without
> actually containing them.

Yep, at LinuxTag I had several discussions with Novell and OpenSUSE folks about this, as it effects Gnash.

 > This api trick of mine should serve as a technical crutch to get this going.
 > Do you know someone who would want to work on this idea?

Work on what ? libffmpeg-api ? Or host the ffmpeg codecs in a safe place ? What's the status of libffmpeg-api's code ?