Re: [Gnash-dev] 2nd try: How can Internet Archive flash script pick code

From: Benjamin Wolsey
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] 2nd try: How can Internet Archive flash script pick codec to use?
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2008 10:04:15 +0200

> > A third way, though, could be to implement the codec information class
> > from Flash Lite, as Adobe is unlikely to make the two versions of flash
> > incompatible. I think the decision needs time, whatever the case.
> I'd be for this third way, what are your concerns about it ?
> How does this flash lite interface look like ?

The following return arrays of MIME types:

It should be noted, though, that a MIME type like video/ogg or audio/ogg
only shows that the OGG container can be handled, and doesn't reveal
whether codecs for the contained video or audio streams are present, so
there's still guesswork involved. The type video/ogg could be
Theora/Vorbis, Theora/Speex, Theora/FLAC, Dirac/FLAC, Dirac/Vorbis,
MNG/FLAC or OggUVS inside OGG (whatever that is). (See

So I'm not convinced that MIME types give much more information than
looking at the version string.