[Gnash-dev] Re: Development for Win32

From: zou lunkai
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Re: Development for Win32
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 18:48:03 +0800

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 1:04 PM, Tonko Juricic <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 11:57 PM, zou lunkai <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>> I'd suggest make a new solution/project file for current Gnash souce code,
>> the old project file should be completely useless now.  The source
>> files(file
>> names and directories) have been changed a lot. But you need to know
>> which are the files you need to build. There are multiple GUIs and
>> renderer
>> backends, and some other tools. You probably don't want to build all of
>> them.
>>

> I agree and I am starting with a new solution and adding library projects.
>
> As for the GUI, after a brief consideration I am inclined to use no GUI from
> the given set but to try use Win32 native GUI.
>
> Namely, I would tend to start with GTK, because of some basic familiarity
> with it. However, when running MingW port gtk-gnash.exe on my XP it displays
> grafity.swf just fine but crashes somewhere in libgtk-win32-2.0-0.dll as
> soon as I click on any menu item.
> So sticking to native GUI may be easier to maintain and debug. Or could this
> approach be flawed for some reason?

Right, using gtk on native windows is really not a good choice.  You
may consider SDL though, it's pretty simple and portable and works
well on Windows.  The SDL related code in Gnash should compile without
any difficulty. And SDL is well documented over the internet, and
there are many examples.

The only problem with native GUI is that it's not portable at all. But
I guess you should be very familar with it, so it's might be your good
choice.  Anyway, take a look at "sdl.cpp" and "sdl_agg_glue.cpp"
before the final decision:)

http://www.libsdl.org/download-1.2.php

There's binary lib for windows, I can confirm it is stable.

--zou