[Gnash-dev] Media parsing

From: Shachar Kaufman
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Media parsing
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 16:53:56 +0200

Hi all,

I've had a bit of time to update my sources from 0.8.3 to 0.8.4 and indeed I find the current design solving some issues I've encountered with the previous version.

However the changes create a new problem for me:

Gnash now seems to have a dichotomy to demux ("media parser" as you call it) and decode (audio/video decoder). This is represented by Media Handler's virtual functions.
As far as I can see the parser emits encoded elementary (video/audio) bitstream chunks into a queue, and the decoders fetch appropriate elementary bitstream chunks and decode them into a queue of frames.

Is there a simple way of using an atomic demux-and-decode unit without passing demux-ed encoded elementary bitstream frames back to gnash? This atomic unit of mine is entirely in hardware and forcing it to dispence encoded elementary bisttream frames and timestamps back to software would be a major performance no-no.