Re: [Gnash-dev] Saved media not quite right; youtube nits

From: Benjamin Wolsey
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Saved media not quite right; youtube nits
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 16:07:01 +0100

> It does indeed create saved media files when I go to youtube.  Great!
> But totem is unable to play those files, reporting:
>   ** Message: Error: Internal data stream error.
>   gstflvdemux.c(528): gst_flv_demux_loop (): /play/decodebin1/flvdemux1:
>   stream stopped, reason error

Totem is unable to play quite a few things, (on my system, that includes
all h264 files), but I usually find mplayer or ffplay work fine.

> Perhaps the saved stream isn't quite a valid FLV file?

It should be exactly the stream that's downloaded, so there's not much
we can do about it. It could well be a valid file, and the failure is in

> I tried to get it to save an MPEG4 by going to the Internet Archive, e.g.:
> But gnash doesn't succeed in running the Archive's flash player (I
> didn't diagnose why).

It doesn't play because it uses ActionScript 3 (the most recent
FlowPlayer), which is a poor way to get support from free Flash players.

> Perhaps the saved media should have a filename extension based on
> the codec type (e.g. "get_video12.flv").

We don't know the codec type before opening the cache file, so that
would need a mechanism to rename cache files after they've been opened,
and consequently more substantial changes to the code, which I'm trying
to avoid this close to a release. It also doesn't seem like a very GNU
way of doing things either, as GNOME (for me, at least) has no trouble
recognising the correct codec and displaying thumbnails.

> As an aside, a few bugs in the youtube player:
>   *  The youtube movie's fullscreen button doesn't go full screen.  But
>      gnash can clearly do it, since the Gnash "Toggle full screen"
>      menu item works.

Yes, it's an ActionScript bug that no one has been able to identify yet,
possibly to do with super()

The current release of Gnash is 0.8.4

Benjamin Wolsey, Software Developer -