Re: [Gnash-dev] using gnash plugin to playing embedded flash video

From: Torsten Schlabach
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] using gnash plugin to playing embedded flash video
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 17:06:31 +0100

Hi Nevo!

> Anyway, having no
> good knowledge about that ,so just a curious wonder. :)

It's never wrong to wonder and to ask intelligent questions!

> You mean FLV file is a binary executable ?

No, I mean the SWF file is a binary executable. All the rest you wrote is exactly to the point.

> I could see such a Flash method as "get_videoUrl", which I think is
> what I want to acquire

What you want to acquire is the return value of that method, i.e. the actual URL of the video. (You are still assuming there is only one!) The only way way to predict the return value form a method that I know if is to actually run the code in it. And this method may be named entirely different in any other video player.

> We cannot tell how the ActionScript code will be like for all video
> host sites, right ?

Right. It there was a limited number of standard "video player" SWF files, you might have a way to predict this, but there aren't. Basically everyone is writing his / her own. Of course, algorithms for popular sites may get detected and published on the web, but this is not a generic solution and by the way has little to do with the goals of the Gnash project, AFAIK.

If you come across a very straightforward implementation where the URL to be played is one of the parameters passed to the player, you could find your way, but this isn't what you really want.

> Have you studied the reason ?  I have encountered such a case last
> week, it just return "Unauthorized" though the URL looked okay (I
> extracted the URL from some website).

I can only guess it: The content owners don't want you to watch their content using your own player which is not embedded into their website because if you play the URL directly you will not see the advertising that they try to make some money of. That would apply to any site which plays the content without a login. Those sites create a session key for you somewhere in the browser when you visit the site, then pass this on to the ActionScript which will pass this on to the request for the actual content. That way they make sure that the request for the video comes from a player which is embedded in their web page. (And not for example someone else's web page.)

> Just a thought.  I saw by using Adobe Flex3 SDK, we could create swf
> file , and Flex3 SDK is open sourced ( havn't finished downloading) ,
> is that helpful to implement the unimplemented parts ?

I am not sure, but I don't actually think so. IIUC, the SDK is open sources, not the VM on which the result of what you built with the SDK ( the actual Flash movie) will run.

Compare this to having a FOSS SDK for Windows apps (MinGW). That does not mean that Windows itself (on which software built with MinGW will run) is open source.

Would MinGW help you if you tried to create a clean-room implementation of the Win32 API? It would for sure provide some input to your requirements, but it's not an implementation you can learn / steal from.

Regards,
Torsten

Nevo schrieb:
hi, Strk: