[Gnash-dev] cash for gnash

From: Steve Castellotti
Subject: [Gnash-dev] cash for gnash
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 20:20:54 +1300

hey all-

    I'd like to float an idea, see if anyone is interested.

    I'm the technical director for a company called Eyemagnet. We used [almost] 100% Open Source software to create interactive advertising installations and exhibitions. We've done screens at Times Square, texting SMS messages and votes for encore songs at live concerts, motion-detection "games" similar to Eyetoy, and so on.

    The only bit of software we use which isn't Open Source is of course the Adobe Flash Player. We're attempting to fill that gap by helping to contribute to the Gnash project.

    In fact we've started doing that already. A few months back we hired a student worker to help us create a series of plugins and code (a Python module) for Compiz Fusion.

    We've contributed a few patches to Gnash already and I believe one has already made it into the latest release, 0.8.5.

    We're still a small organization but are trying our best to be active and contributing members of the Open Source community. We already have more hours of work than our existing crew can handle.

    So my question is, is anyone interested in picking up a few paid hours of Gnash development time?

    Going forward our main focus will be on performance improvements to the rendering engine (ideally OpenGL), and helping establish a set of "recommended practices" for anyone who wishes to develop content specifically targeting the Gnash player.

    Everything to be released back to the project under the GPL license of course.

    If anyone is interested please feel free to contact me off-list. We're pretty relaxed around how to structure any agreements and are happy to sponsor any work for college credit where appropriate.

Cheers

Steve Castellotti
Eyemagnet Limited
New Zealand