Re: [Gnash-dev] Help with building a XPI

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Help with building a XPI
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 15:07:19 +0200

> > Btw, the binaries would be even more useful with a:
> >   apt-get install apt-ftparchives
> >   cd /packages/snapshots/debian/lenny/
> >   apt-ftparchives packages . | gzip > Packages.gz
> > so they can be used in sources.list:
> >   deb http:///packages/snapshots/debian/lenny/ ./
>
>   As our web server is running Redhat Enterprise (it came that way), I'm
> not sure how to setup a deb repository on a Redhat system.
>
> > Similarly for Fedora you could also use 'createrepo .'.
>
>   That I did do, but haven't bothered to keep it up to date. More long
> term I'd love to have deb and rpm repositories for Gnash, I just break
> down on the systems administration end... There's a few things I need to
> do to buildbot too, there are only so many hours in the day...

You might be interested in reading my custom scripts that I use to
make FreeDink snapshots and releases:
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/freedink.git/tree/autobuild
(also available at http://www.freedink.org/snapshots/)

Basically I have an host running Linux VServer (virtualization), one
of them being Debian Lenny with an Etch pbuilder, the other being
Fedora 9 with mock installed. 'pbuilder' and 'mock' are tools to build
the packages in a clean/throwable chroot-based environment. Both
vservers were installed from the command line, so there's no need for
a manual installation from CD.

The scripts just grab the latest .tar.gz, run builder and mock, move
the files in the public dir, and run apt-aptarchives / createrepo
accordingly.  There's also a slightly bigger script to manually
cross-compile .exe for ms woe.

There were discussion on gnu-prog-discuss some months ago about tools
that are a bit more structured, but I haven't investigated.

> > Stripping the executable saves 90% of the size, so you might consider
> > doing that too  :)
>
>   That's probably a good idea. :-) You're the only person I know that
> has even tried the experimental XPI packages, so they're mostly untested.

Aiiie, that's what I didn't want to hear ;)

> > In addition, I get an error with Firefox 3, "will not be installed
> > because it does not provide secure updates".  I can only guess that
> > FF3 requires an https URL for the updates, but I'm not sure. Do you
> > know about this?
>
>   Not at all, I'm new to XPI packaging. I'd still like it to work
> correctly, as I think it'll be a good way for people to keep their copy
> of Gnash more up to date after critical bug fixes.

How can I help?

--
Sylvain