Re: [Gnash-dev] Help with building a XPI

From: Sylvain Beucler
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Help with building a XPI
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2009 10:30:52 +0200

On Sun, Apr 12, 2009 at 05:49:54PM -0600, Rob Savoye wrote:
> Sylvain Beucler wrote:
>
> > You might be interested in reading my custom scripts that I use to
> > make FreeDink snapshots and releases:
> > http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/freedink.git/tree/autobuild
> > (also available at http://www.freedink.org/snapshots/)
>
>   Interesting... btw, the links to all the docs appear to be 404s... :-)

I don't see which ones you mean, can you give me an example?

> > There were discussion on gnu-prog-discuss some months ago about tools
> > that are a bit more structured, but I haven't investigated.
>
>   I wound up using reprepro, which seems to do the trick. and runs on
> RedHat Enterprise as well. See it this works for you:
>
> deb http://www.getgnash.org/deb-repo lenny main
> GPG key: http://www.getgnash.org/deb-repo/gnashdev.key
>
>   If that works, I'll add the buildbot generated .debs and from
> http://getgnash.org/buildfarm/ to the repos in an automated fashion as I
> beat buildbot into shape.

OK, so:

- the versionning is "trunk$(date +%Y%m%d)-y" but Debian's are
  0.8.x-y. It would make sense to use compatible versions, and allow a
  release to have higher priority than an earlier snapshot

- the suite is 'unstable' while it's a Lenny (stable) package. This
  blocked the upgrade for me because I give 'unstable' a lower
  priority in /etc/apt/preferences (hence I can hand-pick unstable
  packages while remaining stable for the rest). So for a stable
  repository it makes sense to use the 'stable' suite.

- apparently the files are not split exactly the same, since when
  upgrading, I got:

dpkg : erreur de traitement de
/var/cache/apt/archives/gnash_trunk20090313_i386.deb (--unpack) :
 tentative de remplacement de « /usr/share/pixmaps/gnash.xpm », qui appartient
aussi au paquet gnash-common
dpkg-deb: sous-processus paste tué par le signal (Relais brisé (pipe))

  (i.e. gnash.xpm is in gnash while it was in gnash-common) This isn't
  very important as the error disappears after relaunching apt-get .

- and well, more importantly :)

$ gtk-gnash
gtk-gnash: error while loading shared libraries: libgnashnet.so.0: cannot open

  Apparently the file isn't present. /usr/lib/gnash/ files also lack
  the version-less symlinks

> > How can I help?
>
>   It depends, ever hack on buildbot ? Want to overload yourself with
> more sysadmin projects ? :-)

Why not, this could be an opportunity to update my own setup.

I was also asking about XPI though.  IMHO distro repos are fine, but
are suboptimal if it's possible to provide statically-linked,
one-click-install binaries.

--
Sylvain