Re: [Gnash-dev] 20-gig gnash-dbg.log files with "verbosity=1"

From: Benjamin Wolsey
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] 20-gig gnash-dbg.log files with "verbosity=1"
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 08:20:51 +0200

> Isn't this more likely to indicate a bug in gnash (which makes valid
> ActionScript code appear to be buggy)?

Indeed it sometimes does, and in those cases you can find a bug by
checking if what Gnash claims is true.

> I suppose it's possible that
> the production YouTube flash application is referencing undefined members
> several times a second, but it seems unlikely.  (What does flash do
> when you do so?  Raise an exception?  Or just blunder on?)  If it's
> true, shouldn't we report the problem to the flash programmers at YouTube?

It happens with code like:

if (!a) a = new Object();

which is valid actionscript. But it also happens when coders make a
typing error, when resources used for debugging aren't there in
production code, or when the SWF fails to import resources for any other
reason.

So the difficulty is that distinguishing between a genuine coding error,
a bug in Gnash and one of those other cases isn't easily possible. As
the information is sometimes useful (particularly in debugging AS3 at
the moment), it's left there and normally disabled.

bwy

--
Use Gnash, the GNU Flash Player!
http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/