Re: [Gnash-dev] Re: no AVM2 for a while?

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Re: no AVM2 for a while?
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 07:37:47 -0600

On 08/10/09 00:32, Benjamin Wolsey wrote:

Yes, there's been progress on AVM1, so it is worth a new release.

This is a time based release, not a functionality based one. There have been enough bugs fixed and functionality added to justify this release so it makes various distribution code freezes.

While we can't run most of the new AS3 code under AVM2, much of the work of this summer has improved many of the classes to work better under AVM1 and AS2. Many things like Text processing and formatting work now, plus other classes have alot more functionality than they used to.

Even now AVM2 can be tested and improved by using the working
as3compile.all testsuite, but largely isn't because it uses the
non-working classes.all testsuite, which also contains bugs that no one
appears to want to fix.

To fix the classes.all test cases requires fixing either HAXE or our AVM2 code to execute HAXE based test cases. For more than simple test cases, I found as3compile too limited still. The tests in that directory do work well for versions older than v9, we've been using them, and I fail to see why you have a bad attitude about them. That test suite has primarily been developed by college students, give em a break.