Re: [Gnash-dev] make check failing -- dejagnu problem?

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] make check failing -- dejagnu problem?
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 21:23:29 +0200

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 01:13:59PM -0600, Rob Savoye wrote:
> On 08/31/09 13:11, strk wrote:
>
> >What's the rationale of that decision ?
>
>   I dislike it's API as overly terse, and as the DejaGnu author, of
> course prefer it's API and functionality. Having two APIs doesn't make
> sense.

check.as doesn't implement an alternative API but rather a wrapper
around the dejagnu one. check.h *in addition* contains a dejagnu
alternative (to avoid relying on a non-distributed dejagnu version).

The wrapper is meant to be more terse then dejagnu: compare the following:

        // check.as
        check_equals(A, 3);

        // Dejagnu direct
        if ( a == 3 ) {
                tester.pass("message");
        } else {
                tester.fail("message");
        }

Also note that the check.as version automatically creates the "message"
which include file name, line number, expected result and obtained result.
It's very helpful when something fails as you immediately see what you get
and what you were expecting.

Finally, dejagnu is still used trough tcl and automake to parse the output
so it's still engaged, even in the check.h case.

--strk;

 Free GIS & Flash consultant/developer      ()  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
 http://foo.keybit.net/~strk/services.html  /\  Keep it simple!