Re: [Gnash-dev] cairo instead of agg for fb?

From: Leon Woestenberg
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] cairo instead of agg for fb?
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 17:28:08 +0200

Hello Udo,

thanks for replying and your work on AGG and FB in Gnash!

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 9:32 AM, Udo Giacomozzi<address@hidden> wrote:

> Monday, September 7, 2009, 10:36:49 PM, you wrote:
> LW> what is needed to support cairo (with it's image surface) for the
> LW> framebuffer UI?
>
> LW> Currently only agg is supported. Cairo / pixman recently got good ARM
> LW> NEON optimizations that are worth exploring.
>
> I wrote the AGG and FB part of Gnash, but don't know much about Cairo.
> However, as long as Cairo can provide a linear buffer that can be
> copied directly to graphics memory, it should not be a big deal. There

Yes, that's no problem with cairo.

> are various pixel formats and -depths around, so Cairo must support
> all of these directly - otherwise you will loose a lot of performance
> just for converting pixels.
>
> The ARM NEON feature sounds very interesting. AGG (the library itself,
> not the Gnash GUI) could certainly be optimized to use these features,
> so maybe you might invest some time there...

I would rather spend time on enabling cairo in the fb mode, so that we
get the NEON optimizations for free.

Note however that Cairo may be a tad slower to begin with, so it has
to overtake the agg performance.

Regards,
--
Leon