Re: [Gnash-dev] oprofile difficulties, easy access to debuginfo, and oth

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] oprofile difficulties, easy access to debuginfo, and other thoughts
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 13:21:48 -0600

On 10/12/09 18:30, Michael Stone wrote:

Lastly, if there's a simple solution out there or reason why our
approach was doomed from the start, then I'd also appreciate it if you could
link to
it a little bit more prominently from your wiki since Google doesn't seem to
know anything about it. (Try, e.g., "gnash debug info", "gnash oprofile", "gnash
profiling"; the latter query is the only one with real results on the first
page and they say nothing at all about oprofile).

Ok, I got my XO 1.5 updated, built fresh rpms, and installed them. You can grab my snapshot from http://www.getgnash/packages/fedora. Built 11560 should work, it's what I installed. As far as I can tell, the debuginfo package I built has all the symbols. Now I'm trying to get oprofile running, but all the docs I find are out of date, and only refer to the older Geode based machines.

So if somebody can give me pointers to getting oprofile up and running on the newer VIA based machine, I'd appreciate it. Then I can check the performance issues you mentioned, and add some info on our wiki.

One thing I did find is all the animations I ran worked fine, even the bug nasty ones where scaling hurts performance. What didn't work well was was youtube. It seemed even worse than the older G1G1 machines for some reason. Embedded video tests worked good, so I assume the network overhead is what is killing performance for my quick tests.

  Overall, the XO 1.5 is sure much faster!