Re: [Gnash-dev] Re: Failing to build mozilla plugin for gnash-0.8.7

From: Julian Seward
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Re: Failing to build mozilla plugin for gnash-0.8.7
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2010 13:52:14 +0100

On Saturday 20 February 2010, Rob Savoye wrote:
> Rupert Swarbrick wrote:
> > I suspect that it's a result of ~/.mozilla/plugins not being in your
> > "dynamic link library path". Try running with
> >
> >   LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/user/.mozilla/plugins firefox
>
>   Actually you don't have to do that for the plugin, but you do need to
> have /usr/local/lib/gnash in your LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
>
> >   make install-plugin

Any way you slice it, I cannot make this work.  I tried

  make install-plugin

and started with an empty LD_LIBRARY_PATH, and then again with
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$prefix/lib/gnash.  The complaints about missing
symbols disappear like this, but nevertheless the resulting Fx
cannot play any flash movies, eg from Youtube.

This is with a 3.6.x line Firefox built from source.  I am trying
to investigate the extent to which using Gnash rather than Flashplayer
in Firefox makes it easier to debug Flash-related problems in Fx,
but so far I am failing to get to first base.

My Fx is running on a vnc server, not on a real X display.  Would
that make any difference?

"make install-plugin" installs a single file, libgnashplugin.so,
which is only 339k, and a significant part of that is Dwarf3 debug syms.
So it can't have much functionality compared to the rest of gnash,
considering that (eg) libgnashcore-0.8.7.so is nearly 92MB in size.
Does libgnashplugin.so dlopen/dlsym the rest of the shared objects
from their location in $prefix/lib/gnash ?