Re: [Gnash-dev] Hardware acceleration support

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Hardware acceleration support
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 16:08:22 -0700

On 03/02/10 12:05, John Gilmore wrote:

> Great!  It's good to stir up some fun in gnash like this.  I'm still
> afraid that gnash will soon be irrelevant to most people, until it can
> play the friggin' scripts that the most popular video sites surround
> their videos with.

  While I agree with you, it's also important to make what we have
currently run well. Plus hacking on this is an order of magnitude less
work than avm2... and sometimes it's nice to work on something with a
turn around time of a few days. More importantly, it's donated code, and
Gwenole has been responsive on making the changes to the patch that are
needed. All I'm doing is making sure the patches are better integrated
into Gnash so we can actually benefit from this work, instead of
watching it bit-rot.

 The switchable renders is a long-desired feature, and unrelated to the
hardware acceleration patch. It'll make packaging Gnash easier, and
hopefully get more usage and bug fixing in the opengl and cairo renderers.

> "librender" is such a generic name; if it's gnash-specific, I'd call it
> "libgnashrender" or something like that.

  The library itself would would be libgnashrender.*, just the directory
name would be "librender". It's probably a better name than "backend",
which is what we currently use.