Re: [Gnash-dev] embedded graphics & Gnash

From: Gwenole Beauchesne
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] embedded graphics & Gnash
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 10:21:49 +0200

Hi,

Le 23 juin 10 à 18:23, Rob Savoye a écrit :

One nice thing and OpenVG is that we would only need one rendering
backend, as it would use hardware acceleration if it was present, and if not, drop back to software rendering with similar performance as AGG has.

OpenVG is an interesting path since there are also implementations for desktops. e.g. ShivaVG based on top of OpenGL. I think AmanithVG also provides GLES 1.x and 2.x backends but it's now a commercial product IIRC.

However, I still think Cairo could serve a better purpose because there are both OpenVG and OpenGL backends and the newer OpenGL backend is promising. i.e. we can have HW accelerated rendering on Cairo supported platforms, which is plenty nowadays. Would it be possible to evaluate the performance of the current Cairo -> OpenVG path vs. this dedicated OpenGL ES path on your OMAP board?

Regards,
Gwenole.