Re: [Gnash-dev] Property case and AVM2

From: Benjamin Wolsey
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Property case and AVM2
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 08:41:23 +0200

>   Unfortunately, funding avm2 work turned out to be a waste of time and
> money... :-( Nobody really seemed to want to work on it, and with
> current resources, we'll never finish it anyway, so we might as well
> drop it. Integrating Tamarin or Lightspark at this time is probably a
> better option, although I seriously doubt anyone is going to volunteer
> for that task either. At this point without serious funding, the chances
> of ever achieving full compatiblity are probably a pipe dream... :-(

Revision 12282 adds the property case fixes and drops avm2.
--enable-avm2 is false by default, and if you try to enable it Gnash
won't compile. I'll try to fix this later. The AVM2 switch is useful to
keep for the future.

We've at least learnt a whole range of things not to do when
implementing AVM2 and a lot about AS3. The parsing code and some of the
structures are still useful, so they remain in trunk. We also have some
tests.

The essential thing for any possible new AVM2 implementation is: keep it
as separate as possible. Merging things later is massively easier than
trying to separate what doesn't belong together.

--
Use Gnash, the GNU Flash Player!
http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/

Benjamin Wolsey, Software Developer - http://benjaminwolsey.de