[Gnash-dev] Media Handler

From: Benjamin Wolsey
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Media Handler
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 19:49:02 +0200

Gnash's media handler is now selectable at runtime. It uses a factory
where handlers can register themselves. See the code within #ifdef
REGISTER_MEDIA_HANDLERS in MediaHandlerFfmpeg.cpp and friends for how to
register a handler. MediaHandlers describe themselves; there are no
#ifdefs for users.

Making no selection will choose the default. This will be the
alphabetically first handler.

Selecting a non-existent handler (or misspelling it) will cause Gnash to
exit with an error.

After the changes, the following bugs are to be expected:

Packaging may be broken.

Haiku and aos code is probably broken. I adapted it as much as I could
without testing. Most likely the sound_handler constructor or creation
functions need fixing, but they should be quite trivial.

xv is probably broken, but I can't trigger any bugs. I'm not even sure
it is activated, although it's certainly compiled in.

I hacked configure as much as I could and it works for me, but I'm not
really very good at autotools. If there are any bugs I apologize in
advance.

It would be great if the same factory design could be used for
renderers. This is horribly difficult because of the amount of glues and
guis, but it would make renderer selection vastly easier.

bwy

--
The current release of Gnash is 0.8.7
http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/